Rabbi Margaret Holub, of the Mendocino Coast Jewish Community, conducted the funeral service for Barbara on May 13, 2013.
Barbara had asked that five friends and colleagues, gathered from different phases of her life, be invited to speak as well. Their remarks are shared here:
- Rabbi Margaret Holub
- Jane Zones, women’s health activist and former Breast Cancer Action board member
- The Honorable Thelton E. Henderson, US District Court, Northern District of California
- Heather Sawitsky, attorney and college classmate
- Barbra Wiener, women’s health activist and former executive director of the Minneapolis Women’s Cancer Resource Center
- Kathleen Purcell, partner at Remcho, Johansen and Purcell, attorneys
Barbara’s life and passing have also been memorialized in a number of obituaries, both in print and on the internet (some of these posts/stories draw on each other):
Los Angeles Times, reprinted in the Washington Post with a headline that would have offended Barbara (never the breast cancer awareness advocate). For BCA’s response to the Post’s headline, click here.
And, finally, this post – which is not an obituary, but which carries on the spirit of Barbara:
Mastectomies, Movie Stars, Media, and Medicine, by Elayne Clift